EXTREMELY BUSY? HERE’S HOW NOT TO COMPROMISE ON YOUR HEALTH
We often get so busy and overwhelmed with everyday life that we neglect to eat healthily and/or exercise regularly. What happens is that we compromise on our health. We reduce that exercise time gradually so that we can get out of the house early until an exercise regimen is no longer in place. We find it easier to sit at our desks and pack on all the unhealthy junk food rather than take the time to eat a properly cooked healthy meal.
If you are guilty of compromising your health because you are busy, here are some very simple tips on how you can change and enjoy the best of health while still staying busy:
- Your exercise routine/regimen does not have to be long to be effective. What you need is consistency. Studies have shown that even modest levels of exercise can boost energy levels, improve focus, and increase creative potential, so long it is consistent. So, go for twenty minutes every morning at 5am if that’s what’s convenient or 15 minutes every 6pm.
- Use your own weight for resistance training if you cannot hit the gym. As this requires no fitness equipment and can be done anywhere, you can get in a little workout even in the midst of your work day.
- Keep a food diary and log the food you eat. You are less likely to eat junk, more likely to eat less, and more likely to maintain a healthy weight.
Substitute most of your drinks with water. Most of us keep hydrated while busy by consuming copious amounts of soda and fruit juices, and this extreme intake of sugar is directly linked to weight gain and obesity. Go out with your own water bottle and drink water instead of soda as much as is possible.
- Walk more and stand up more. Even if your job requires you to sit for long, mitigate the negative effect by walking as much as you can instead of driving. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park your car at the farthest end of the parking lot and walk the distance to the entrance. And at work, go for a standing desk that allows you to alternate between sitting and standing positions.
Never eat with the TV or computer on while eating. You will make poorer food choices and most like overeat when you do so.
- Replace desserts with fruit. You will satisfy your sweet tooth and get yourself some fiber and antioxidants in the same breath.
- Sign up for a benefit race every once in a while. Because there is a definite goal to work towards, you are motivated to establish a fitness routine.
- Enjoy the incredible benefits of common by replacing the cream and sugar in your coffee with cinnamon. Not only will you enjoy a whole new kick to your coffee, you will also enjoy the numerous health benefits of cinnamon which is principally the reduction of triglycerides, bad cholesterol, and blood sugar levels. You also get to enjoy its antioxidants benefits.
- Slow down when eating because your body does not immediately recognize that it is full. Give your body a chance to signal you of its satiety by eating slowly. This way, you will not overeat.