Eat we all must. But food comes with calories and consuming more calories than you burn off is what primarily causes weight gain. Most of us have a desire to lose weight and go on all sorts of diet fads. We go online and search for topics such as best diet to lose weight, best diet plans etc.
But did you know that rather than search for the best diet plans to lose weight, what you should be searching for is diet superfoods, the best foods to help you lose the weight.
Here, we have compiled for you 14 diet superfoods. They are the foods that you should definitely include in your diet plans when trying to lose weight. They are foods that have advantageous effects on your hunger, on your hormones and on how you burn calories.
- Broccoli: Fiber helps with weight loss, as it slows down the digestion and the absorption of nutrients in your belly, making you satiated for longer and leading to a reduced appetite. And broccoli is an excellent source of fiber. It is recommended that you consume about 30 grams of fiber per day and a plate of broccoli contributes as much as 16 grams of this recommended fiber intake.
- Nuts: Nuts make excellent snacks and are extremely beneficial when you are looking to lose weight. They not only make you full quickly, but are also excellent sources of protein that make you feel fuller for longer periods, so make sure that your diet includes lots of hazelnuts, pistachios, walnuts, almonds and peanuts.
- Strawberries and blueberries: Both of these berries are good for your diet goals, as research shows that an increased intake of fruits that are rich in flavonoid-rich (such as strawberries) help prevent weight gain. The same research shows that diet foods that have a higher level of anthocyanins (such as blueberries) helps you burn more calories than you retain.
- Oatmeal: If you are trying to lose some weight, oatmeal is one of the superfoods you should be eating. Instead of milk, make your oatmeal with water and then add just a little splash of almond milk. This is not only a delicious meal but a weight loss friendly one as well.
- Cucumber: Loaded with water, low in calories, and high in fiber (in the peel), snacking on cucumbers is a great way to lose weight. The fiber in cucumbers keeps you feeling full for longer and acts as a measure to stop you from eating foods that are likely to lead to weight gain.
- Whole eggs: Whole eggs are a favorite for anyone looking to lose weight because they are delicious, are very filling and are low in calories. Yet, they have a high protein content which helps to curb cravings and increases your feeling of fullness. They also contain healthy fats and are incredibly nutrient dense. This means that they help you get most of the nutrients you need from eggs if you are on a calorie-restricted diet.
- Leafy greens: Make sure to include leafy greens such as kale, collards, swiss chards and spinach in your regular diet as they not only increase the volume of your meals (which means that you eat more without increasing calories), but are also low in carbs and chockfull of fiber. What more, leafy greens provide the vitamins, antioxidants and minerals that the body needs to burn fat.
- Boiled Potatoes: Boiled potatoes (not baked) are perfect for optimal health and weight loss, containing a diverse range of nutrients. In fact, they contain a little bit of almost all the nutrients that you need. They also make you feel full quickly, meaning you eat less of other foods. If you want to get the best of boiled potatoes in your diet, boil them and allow them to cool down. This way, they will form high amounts of resistant starch which is a substance that is fiber like in consistency and helps with weight loss.
- Legumes and beans: Legumes and beans such as black beans, lentils and kidney beans (amongst others) are great foods to eat to lose weight. They contain high levels of fiber and protein which are needed for quick satiety, and also contain a good level of resistant starch.
- Avocados: The avocado is different from other fruits in that it is loaded with healthy fats rather than the carbs most other fruits are loaded with. Avocados also contain a lot of water, have a high fiber content, and have high levels of monounsaturated oleic acid, which is beneficial to weight loss. Avocados are very versatile to use, so you can consume them in lots of ways; as a fruit on its own, as a perfect addition to salads, in soups, or in fruit bowls.
- Whole grains: These are no brainer superfoods. Whole grains like quinoa, brown rice and oats contain a high level of fiber and a good amount of fiber. If you’re trying to lose weight, avoid refined grains by all means and choose whole grains instead.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit is definitely one of the best fruits for weight loss because it has a tempering effect on insulin. It is also deceptively filling, having one of the highest water concentrations of any fruit available in the markets. You therefore get satiated quickly and will eat less of other foods. For the best weight loss effect, eat half a grapefruit about thirty minutes before eating and you will more likely eat less that you usually do.
- Chia seeds: Having a high fiber content and able to absorb about 11–12 times their weight in water, thus turning gel-like and expanding in the belly, chia seeds help to significantly suppress appetite. This is why they are a super food when it comes to diet and weight loss. They also rank amongst the top nutritious foods on the earth, so make sure to include them in your diet plans.
- Coconut oil: We conclude this list with coconut oil. You will do well to replace some of the oils you are already consuming with coconut oil because it is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), known to increase satiety and known to increase the number of calories you burn.