Blast that belly fat: 12 easy ways to lose your love handles
If you are anything like the typical human being, odds are that you are not entirely pleased with how your body looks and that you are always looking to lose weight, particularly around your belly area.
And if you are anything like the typical person, you probably hate your love handles and would literarily do anything to get rid of them. This article explores the 12 easiest ways to blast your belly fat and get that slim waistline you’ve always wanted.
Before we go ahead, why should you even think about getting rid of that belly fat? Well, excess belly fat has been linked to diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cancer and heart disease and is therefore extremely dangerous. You have a higher predisposition to develop these diseases, as well as an increased risk of other health problems, whether you are overweight or of normal weight, as long as you have excess belly fat.
Why belly fat?
Before we get to how you can blast that belly fat, we will examine what makes you gain belly fat in the first place. Here are the top 10 reasons why you are dealing with those love handles:
- Excess sugar through the consumption of beverages and sugary foods such as cakes, candies, muffins, frozen yogurt, flavored coffee drinks, sweet tea and soda.
- Alcohol: Excess calories from the intake of alcohol are partly stored as belly fat. This is where the term “beer belly” comes from.
- Trans fats which are formed by mixing hydrogen with unsaturated fats in order to stabilize them, are about the unhealthiest fats in the world. We consume trans fat when we eat packaged foods such as crackers and muffins because trans fat is used to extend the shelf lives of such packaged foods.
- A sedentary lifestyle is a huge risk factor for poor health, including abdominal obesity.
- A healthy diet that is low in protein and fiber, but rich in carbs can lead to increase in belly fat.
- Menopause: Women going through menopause have an increased risk of developing love handles. As estrogen levels drop dramatically, fat is stored in the stomach area, rather than on the thighs and hips, as it did during puberty and the fertile years.
- Poor gut health: Any imbalance in gut bacteria increases an individual’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes, cancer, heart disease and other diseases, as well as abdominal fat gain.
- Fruit juice: A lot of people consume copious amounts of fruit juice, with the erroneous belief that it is a healthier choice than sodas. This is not true, as fruit juice is nothing but a sugary beverage in itself. Even a fruit juice that is one hundred percent unsweetened contains a lot of sugar.
- Stress: When you are under stress, your body produces and releases cortisol, which is a stress hormone that helps your body mount a stress response. The problem is that cortisol also leads to weight gain when it is available in excess amounts. So, the more tense you are, the more you gain belly fat.
- Not getting enough sleep is linked to weight gain, which may include abdominal fat gain.
12 ways to blast that belly fat
Now that you know why your waist is gradually expanding, here are 12 ways to counteract belly weight gain and blast that fat.
Run from sugar and sugar-sweetened drinks
Because sugar is half glucose and half fructose, and fructose can only be metabolized by your liver in significant amounts, consuming a lot of added sugar overloads the liver with fructose and the liver is forced to turn the excess sugar into fat, which leads to bally fat. So, avoid sugar at all costs.
Consume more protein and fiber
Eating a protein and fiber rich diet is a great strategy to blast your belly fat. Protein is most important because it decreases your cravings, boosts your metabolism and can help you eat as much as 441 lower calories per day. So, stock up on whole eggs, seafood, nuts, meat, legumes, and dairy products. Also, eating plenty of fiber helps with weight loss, as it slows down the digestion and absorption of nutrients in your belly, making you satiated for longer and leading to a reduced appetite.
Eat fewer carbs
On the flip side of consuming more protein and fiber, you will also need to cut carbs from your diet if you want to lose weight. Studies show that low-carb diets lead to 2-3 times more weight loss than low-fat diets, so avoid stuff like sugar, candy, and white bread.
Avoid foods that contain trans fats
Protect your health and reduce your belly fat by reading ingredient labels carefully and running from products containing trans fats.
Consume alcohol in moderation
Although alcohol consumption, when moderately done is beneficial, it is disadvantageous when you drink too much. Get rid of excess fat storage around your waist and burn calories by reducing your alcohol consumption.
Reduce the production of cortisol which leads to weight gain in your body by de-stressing. Find out your stress triggers and try as much as possible to avoid them.
Replace fruit juice with water or unsweetened iced tea.
Eat foods that are rich in probiotic or take a probiotic supplement. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria found in some foods that help to enhance your gut health and improve immune function. They also play a role in weight loss, including abdominal fat loss.
Get some exercise, as it very effective at reducing belly fat.
The benefits of exercise cannot be overemphasized. Concentrate on aerobic exercise such as walking, swimming, and running, as they are the most beneficial when it comes to belly fat blasting.
Practice mindful eating
Track what you eat and figure out exactly what it is and how much you are eating. Eat slowly, eat without a gadget in hand and do not eat in from of the TV. This way, you consume less and will not overeat as much.
Use Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the healthiest fats available on planet earth as it boosts metabolism and decreases the level of fat store in response to high calorie intake. To do this, simply replace some of the fats you’re already consuming with coconut oil.
Catch some Zzzs
Getting enough sleep is essential for many aspects of your physical health, including weight restriction, so you should aim for about 7 hours each night.